Andy Martin - An Autobiography
General Geographic Interests
Mountains in general, maps - particularly topo maps, political
area highpoints - counties, states, nations, parks, etc.
- Home phone - (520) 760-0337
- Profession - Software developer, mining background
- Web sites - little parts of cohp.org; also
- Paper trail - County High Points, Blasting Cap Tin Catalog (see web sites above)
- Hobbies - County highpointing, mining relics.
- Clubs - State Highpoint club, EMC - Extra Miler Club (county collectors).
Having lived in Arizona most of my life, I have a certain bias
towards western US mountains :)
Outdoors / Highpointing / Mountaineering
State highpoints, county highpoints, mountains near Tucson. Enjoy trail hiking, some bushwacking,
- Best hike - Granite Peak (Montana state highpoint)
- Worst hike - Poison Ivy patch in New Jersey
- Highest Elevation - 14,491 ft on Mt Whitney (4 times)
- Quote - You don't have to get to the top today, the mountain will
be there next year - Washington state excluded.
Click on completion map for the full-sized version
and backpacking. Limited rockclimbing/rope abilities. Averse to snow & ice.
Developed the concept of Martinizing:
Driving to a highpoint. In its ultimate form this allows
occupants to simply open the car door and take the first step
directly on the benchmark. A perfect Martinization is a rare feat.
A nice example of Martinizing is shown in
of Andy with his infamous Honda Accord overlooking Telluride, Colorado in July 2006.